Thursday, January 14, 2010

Shopaholics Anonymous



My 12 step program for the year to spend less money:

(1) Delete emails that have the word SALE in the subject line.

(2) It is possible to just window shop. I do not have to feel the need to buy something before I leave a store.

(3) Magazines are meant to be read and not to be used as a catalogue of items to purchase.

(4) Spend less time shopping online and more time being creative - knitting, photography, jewellery making

(5) No impulse shopping. Buy only what  I need.

(6)  Save money for a trip.  I do not have a vacation planned this year, but it would be nice to get away for at least a couple of days.

(7) Do not go to the Coach website. Too much temptation.

(8) Make a list of all the cosmetics and bath & beauty products that I own. This way I will know what I have and what I need to purchase.  I just finished my Smashbox Primer. It will be number one on my list of items to purchase. It is a must have.

(9) Limit the number of times a week that I go to Starbucks.

(10) Don't be pulled in by deals that offer bonus points or a gift card if you spend a certain amount of money. It is a trick stores use to get you to spend more money than you planned.

(11) Avoid the makeup counter at Holt Renfrew. Specifically the Yves Saint Laurent counter. They always want to do my makeup and then I end up spending more money than I should.

(12) If I purchase a new bag,  I will have to give one away. (I hope my sister does not read this)


1 comment:

Kitty said...

#12 will definitely help to further your cause. eventually, you'll get down to your good shizz that you don't want to part with, and you'll feel content.